Tuesday, January 10, 2017

2 Decades and 3 weeks (January 9, 2017)

So since I haven't been very good at writing these last couple of weeks I'm going to quickly summarize some of the highlights :)

I don't remember what I have already said and what no one knows, so I'm just going to talk about everything.

-We had a fish for a day named Kishkumen Oliblish. He was originally named Obama but after killing Hillary and Trump (two of his tank mates), we rescued him from becoming the next Finding Nemo as Mary was ready to flush him down the toilet. We poured him into a bucket back home and continued as if it was any other day. I now have a strong testimony that we are not supposed to have pets of any kind because that day was stinky. No one wanted us and we got rid of that fish so fast! Don't worry, he's in a good home. But we renamed him Kishkumen due to his killing streak. Our investigators got a kick out of it.

-Joel and Martha are my favorite people ever. One night we went to Joel's trailer park and found a small dog they call "El Tigre" or "Tigrito" which means Little Tiger. I didn't get it until we tried to catch him to give him to one of the women who wants to give him a home and I found out why.
-Joel: "Hijole!"

-I've learned that sometimes I super don't filter things and until my companion has pointed them out, I go on living an oblivious life. For example, as we were coordinating with the senior couple:
Sis O: "Could we have his number? Oh, well I guess we don't speak Spanish, it wouldn't be very helpful anyway.."
Me: "You could text him. Oh wait, no you can't, he's blind."
Sis O: "Oh!"
Me: "Well, not blind just old and can't see."
*Elder O, who was cleaning his glasses to put them on, delicately sets them on the table and now won't wear them around me.*

-This past Tuesday we spent 3 hours cleaning a DISGUSTING 50 gallon fish tank. It was for an older less active who just turned 82 the day we showed up to help. I think they just wanted us to scrub the sides but you couldn't hardly see the fish in the tank and so we unanimously decided to clean the whole thing. A noble offer, but we bit off a whole lot more we could chew. It took us about 1.5 hours to catch the fish, bail it out and fish out all of the castle things. Thanks to the 2 feet of snow, we were able to give everything a snow bath and scrub some of the nastiest stuff off. We also discovered two more fish than she thought she had. We had gotten down to the bottom and I heard something moving. The water at this point was not translucent, the last 3 inches or so was poop. After bailing out another inch or two I realized that there was a fish still in there! It was honestly a miracle that I hadn't scooped him out and poured him out in the snow. It took us another hour to scrub the rocks and castle things, and then I tackled the gravel while Hna Hernandez filled the tank back up. My only regret is that we didn't take a before and after picture. Because is was seriously disgusting and now it is beautiful. I just hope the fish don't die from the shock of clean water.

-Cool experience while we were knocking.
So I'm super racist and I find all of the hispanic houses there are. We found one and decided to go back after dinner.
We knock and it's a family that goes to the 7th Day Adventist church. They immediately let us in, shared scriptures with us, sang some hymns and then asked us the message that we brought.
Now, it's really easy to share a nice scriptures, bear your testimony about something that they already know and leave with happy feelings. But as I was sitting there, a scripture came to my mind that I knew I needed to share. I first shared Psalms 82:6 which is one of my favorites. "Ye are gods, children of the most High." It's a fantastic one to teach that we are meant to learn and grow and God wants us to become like Him. It was a little bit contradicted by them because they didn't agree but there were still happy feelings. Then I shared Ezekiel 37:15-17.
15 ¶The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying, 16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions: 17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.

As I read, they said "Amen, amen!" Then I explained it. and then they weren't amening any more. I taught how the stick of Judah is the Bible, while the stick of Ephraim is the Book of Mormon and how they must be brought together into one. I asked them then if they had ever heard of the Book of Mormon. Quickly, things went south and they talked about how you have to cast out the evil from among you and that a glass of 99% water with only 1% poison is still toxic and they hurriedly wrapped up the conversation and told us they really needed to be getting to bed.
The next day I was reading in Moroni 7 and I was thinking about them a lot. My heart rejoiced in those words, and they rang so true that I couldn't believe the fear that we come across when we mention the Book of Mormon. He tells us that if something brings us closer to Christ, it is of God! And how important it is that we don't judge that of God to be of the devil. I love how plainly he states that it is so simple, that we may be able to judge with a perfect knowledge just as we can clearly see what is day and what is night.
 12 Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually.
 13 But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God.

 14 Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil.

 15 For behold, my brethren, it is given unto you to judge, that ye may know good from evil; and the way to judge is as plain, that ye may know with a perfect knowledge, as the daylight is from the dark night.

 16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

 17 But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.

Anyway, love you all lots and hope you have a stellar week. :))))

--
Sister Jaycie Baird
Washington Yakima Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment