Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Trying to Choose the White (May 15, 2017)

Good week good week.

Highlights -

Skyped the family which is always a joy.

Went to the temple and did baptisms for the dead with our recent converts Sean and James :)) Did I take pictures? Of course not. Why would I do that? Added bonus, I was able to go to the Family History Center with Sean and in an hour I was able to find 47 names - 24 of which I was able to take with me and do baptisms for! Cool little miracles :)

Saw some miracles in the Spanish department - there are some really neat people out there. Hopefully I can see some of them through :)

We've been tracting Mae Valley in attempt to find some English investigators cuz the ward is wanting to help out with them and although we've been tracting lots the only person we ended up finding who said we could come back was Hispanic. #evenwhenwetrytoenglish

Funny story - we went back to contact a guy who said we could put him on our list. He is a hoot let me tell you. Most people in Moses Lake have had at least some kind of contact with members or the church and this man had been friends with multiple bishops. He said that he had a question - and he had asked all of his member friends and bishops and hna Petersen and I were like "Ohhhh man what is he gonna ask I don't think we have more knowledge than bishops!" and the question was then posed.
"If you got to the other side, and you sat down with our Creator, Jesus of course, and He told you that you had gotten it all wrong, would you change your religion?"
We kind of looked at each other (with more than a little relief) and answered, "If Christ himself told us that we were wrong of course we would." (in my head of course I finished the statement - but he's already told me that this is the right one) and he threw his hands up in the air and yelled "Wife! (insert wife's name) They got the answer right! Of all the people I've ever asked there was only one other man who answered it right!" and she came out and told us congratulations. It was far out and awesome.
In that same neighborhood we met a dog who didn't bark, a naked 2 year old, a man without a watch (*checks arm - it's a hair past a freckle* "I've actually gotta go right now"), a kind lady with a dog named Alfalfa who took a Spanish pamphlet because she's a Spanish teacher and a man that was a Missouri Lutheran (nope, not from Missouri, in fact, that might not actually be how you spell it but that sure is what it sounded like), and was good friends with multiple Seventies from the church but would never be Mormon. I've decided. Tracting is by far my favorite thing to do to find people.

 Have you ever heard of a book called "How to Hug a Porcupine"? A former AP has it on his flashdrive and though I'm not super sure how kosher it is, the elders have been working on a 24 hour no criticism fast found in chapter 13. You have to give something up until you can go 24 hours without criticizing anything. And so it's been a solid week where I've been taking cold showers. It's really neat though, it makes you think before you say just about anything. It is really hard and I can't say it's comforting to have your eyes opened to the amount of criticism that is given and used in common conversations. Apparently chapter 14 is how to correctly critique something but they aren't listening to that until they complete the 24 hour fast. Which (this is criticism) means we probably won't ever be listening to it. At least not within this transfer.
Gospel Tie-in - Ephesians 4:29 - "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." If we eliminate this whole criticizing thing, all that we say is edifying. Really this is just a stepping stones to obtaining charity and acting in the way that Christ did.

Love you all! :)
Sister Jaycie Baird
Washington Yakima Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment