Tuesday, February 21, 2017

When Ephrata Makes National News (February 20, 2017)


Monday was great. P-days are fun because they hardly end all day. We have a P-Day and then that night we have Family Home Evening with the group and get to play with the kids, talk to investigators and play soccer all at the church. I'm getting a lot better at soccer, my bruise on the other hand is not. It's favorite pastime is to kick the bed. :)

Tuesday was uneventful, we had District Council where I made Cincinnati Chili for everyone (first time I didn't mess something up = success). We did service at Dog-Eared Books where we sort books. That service has taught me that Satan is very real. I used to be a huge book fanatic before my mission, but after sorting through these books and after understanding the big picture, I am ashamed to admit that my dad was right and I wasted so much time on trivial things. Missions are good things.

Wednesday was relatively uneventful, it was a really awesome day where we did lots of really good things, I bought some overalls at the thrift store for $1.50. We also tracted in the rain and talked to a guy who told us that when he meets missionaries, he usually just tells him he isn't interested. Fun fact - Hermana Baird has developed a gift where if someone will humor her for 2 minutes and answer a couple of her questions, people who would usually slam the door before we could share anything usually walk away with at least a Family History or pass-along card. That being said, he had clearly come out with the purpose of telling us "no thanks" and going back inside in probably less than 2 minutes. 10 minutes later we parted with a promise that he will receive answers to his prayers if he reads the Book of Mormon at least 5-10 minutes each day and gave him one of his very own. He turned down having other missionaries come by, but told us that he would read it. And like Karla said - "The only reason we have missionaries is because the Book of Mormon doesn't have legs." We got the Book of Mormon there. It will do the rest :)
I suppose that night was a little more exciting. Today was the day that we evacuated our apartment in the dark using flashlights while a cop stood outside with lights flashing, 3 hours after the entire sky lit up white, blue, green and then orange as smoke billowed into the air and a Telsa coil noise permeated the town not just once but two times within 3 minutes of each other. And then everything went dark, from Quincy to Ephrata. If you want more details we made ABC National News. I think you can find it on the Thursday morning reports. Long story short, we spent the night at a member's house because the power lines around our house went ka-boom and was on the verge of falling over and destroying things. Just another day in the life of a missionary. :)

Thursday we went to contact a referral and got Bible-bashed in Spanish by a man holding a steak knife. I'm relatively certain he wasn't going to do anything with it but all the same. It was interesting. We did service at the food bank and I wore my overalls :D There is a member named Brother Bair - we're friends because our names are super similar. And now we're best friends because he always wears overalls and when I wore mine I got a literal Bair hug. He was beaming. Then our District Leader got a call that he was being emergency transferred to Zillah with a missionary who just broke his leg really badly and needed to leave tomorrow. Needless to say, it was a sad day for everyone. But being a missionary is like my favorite thing ever. Because that night we walked one of our recent converts aunts home in the cold darkness. It's the little things that make you feel like you are becoming something more.

We washed dishes and checked up on a man named Jack who is this darling old man who has a ton of guns and swords and old artifacts and is seriously hilarious. Also, he has lots of art and so I was geeking out a little bit.

Friday was crazy. That night was a party for our investigators daughter and so we were on the phone with like 12 people at the same time to find rides for everyone on time. It was good :)

Saturday the Zone Leaders had a baptism and we were asked to do the interlude where we bore powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon.

Sunday we did lots of awesome stuff. I got to play the violin!! :DDDD

I love you all and hope you have a stellar week! :)
Hna Baird

Happy Valentine's Day!

Time Out with the squad - Sis Hopkins, Sis Harty, me, Hna Buss
 

No comments:

Post a Comment