Monday, April 4, 2016

Week 4: A Scripture a Day Keeps the Devil Away (March 29, 2016)




This week was a little bit weird, the internet was broken so I have a brief thing about each day and a scripture to go with it. I know many of these scriptures are out of context and perhaps foreign, there may be ideas that everyone isn't as familiar with, but I really wanted to share the scriptures that have taught me a little more cada dia (every day).

3/22 Tuesday: After pday we sang in choir the song "Jesus Once of Humble Birth". I really love choir. Music is the song of the heart and so often it is the way I bear my testimony, be it with my violin or with a choir but oh how I love it. 

Doctrine and Coventants 25:12 For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.

3/23
Wednesday: I learned of the importance of revelation and a desire to learn. It is so important.  The Book of Mormon and other scriptures, including talks from our prophets, contain all of the answers we need. It is up to us to search for an answer, that's why every time we read the scriptures we learn something more. Just as with General Conference the words we read are the same, but the impact and the message those words carry is different and incredibly personal for every person.


2 Nephi 31:3   For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto their understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding.

3/24
Thursday: We had service in the morning and we were cleaning bathrooms AGAIN. Don't get me wrong, i love cleaning as much as the next person but man sakes alive. 28 toilets, 12 urinals, and 19 sinks later we hit a bump. H Holmes spilled chemical on her shoe and there was a toilet that neither of us wanted to clean. Long story short, her foot was in the sink and we were arguing about who had to clean it when the service worker came in. But, as Ether says, we are given weaknesses so that we can be made strong. We are given opportunties to learn and to grow and to change. And that lesson was made quite obvious to me that morning.


Ether 12:27
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if  they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

3/25
Friday: I love this scripture. We used it in a leccion con (lesson with) Nicolas who is trying to give up cafe (coffee). He wanted to know why we don't do certain things. Honestly, muchas veces (a lot of times) we don't have an exact answer to some of las cosas (the things) or rules we follow, but just as Adam of old, it is a commandment of God and sometimes that's all we really need.


Moses 5:5-6
 5 And he gave unto them commandments, that they should worship the Lord their God, and should offer the firstlings of their flocks, for an offering unto the Lord. And Adam was obedient unto the commandments of the Lord. 6 And after many days an angel of the Lord appeared unto Adam, saying: Why dost thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save the Lord commanded me.


3/26
Saturday: I learned about kind of a weird phrase in spanish. Muchas veces(many times), someone with say "ella compartia con la familia" literally translated it means "she shared with the family".  I was so confused because what did she share?? Usually it's shared a lesson or a scripture but it is totally normal to just say she shared. Apparently it means, to share oneself or one's time. I love Matthew 5 because it's a good reminder that we need to be constantly sharing our light with the world.


Mathew 5:14-16
 14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the  house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify  your Father which is in heaven.


3/27
Sunday: Elder Ballard came and spoke to us that Easter morning and when he entered the room I could feel the incredible truth that he is a man of God. In his talk he called us his "fellow missionaries" (which I absolutely thought was the coolest thing) but he also told us to testify boldly of Christ. Let your purpose be known. If you love Christ, if you strive to follow Christ, do not be ashamed. He is your Savior, my Redeemer, and it is through Him alone that we can return.


 2 Nephi 25:23,26
 23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. 26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.



3/28
Monday: I love these scriptures so much. I found them during personal study. Oftentimes, there are concepts given to us or things we learn that are difficult to understand and verse 3 beautifully describes that save a man should inquire of the Lord, we will not understand these things. Verse 11 describes how we must ask and 25 is a plea to do so. If there are things you do not understand, please, please ask of God. James 1:5 - He giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not. If we ask in faith we WILL receive an answer. Of course, our faith is what our answer is dependent upon. But I know that if you have the faith to receive, He will gladly give.


1 Nephi 15:3, 11, 25
3 For he truly spake many great things unto them, which were hard to be understood, save a man should inquire of the Lord; and they being hard in their hearts, therefore they did not look unto the Lord as they ought.
11 Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you.
 25 Wherefore, I, Nephi, did exhort them to give heed unto the word of the Lord; yea, I did exhort them with all the energies of my soul, and with all the faculty which I possessed, that they would give heed to the word of God and remember to keep his commandments always in all things.

3/29
Tuesday: These scriptures don't look very connected, but they both bring home a lesson that is muy importante (very important). When we "wholly follow the Lord my God" we are given the ability to have the power of the Holy Ghost with us.


2 Nephi 33:1
 1 And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men.
Joshua 14:9
 9 And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children’s for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the Lord my God.

3/30
Wednesday: This is my mission scripture, Alma 26:12, and I love it so much because cada dia (every day) I learn more and more that I cannot do everything by myself.  In Ether it teaches, "after the trial of your faith" and this is true. I have been at the MTC for 4 weeks, going on 5 and there are a lot of things that tend to be a trial of my faith. But it's okay because I know that through the Lord, I am enough. We taught Nicolas again today and it went really well. Spanish came easily. And I know it isn't me. I know that it is the Lord. And so in all things I boast of the Lord, my God for yo se que (I know that) I am nothing.


Alma 26:12
12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

Ether 12:6
And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.


I am so grateful for this opportunity.
I know Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.

Thank you for the support, letters and emails, they mean so much.
Les quiero mucho (you are wanted (quite literally by me but it's a way to express love amongst friends)
--


Sister Jaycie Baird
Washington Yakima Mission



"Personalities galore"
 The last of our zone - left to right
Elder Simpson, Elder Nielson, Herman Briscoe, Hermana Rosenlund, Elder Dinges, Elder Stahlei
H Arnold, H Maine, H Holmes, H Baird, H Roundy, H Powell


I ran into Grandma Baird at the temple!

No comments:

Post a Comment