Saturday, February 27, 2016

Called to Serve: Getting Ready to Leave



As I prepare to leave for my mission, it's kind of snuck up on me. It was a learning process to choose to serve a mission and it took faith and the support of those around me to decide. There are some who may not know exactly what a missionary is or what they do. Missionaries serve around the world, often learning different languages to do so. Our purpose is to bring people to Christ and we strive to exemplify his teachings. For 18 months to 2 years, we leave our families, our friends, our phones, our social media sites, and many other things behind as we dedicate our time, our talents, and all our efforts to preach the gospel and to serve the people in the areas we are called. On Mother's Day and Christmas we are allowed to Skype our family, but all other communication is done through emails and letters on Mondays. You'll find us in our Sunday best every day of the week (except for Mondays which is our Preparation day) and we forgo all movies, music and media outside of church sanctioned media so that we can focus on the gospel. This blog will be a weekly update of my progression in the field. Most times a missionary will send out a weekly email which you are welcome to receive but this is a condensed account of my mission. I have been called to the Yakima, Washington mission speaking Spanish where I will be serving for 18 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment